How Often Are Vaccinations Required?
Though some vaccinations create immunities in your pet’s system that may last for many years, others need to be renewed every year to optimize your pet’s healthy life. The frequency of vaccination has been debated in professional circles due to some veterinary practices over-vaccinating or vaccinating by rote schedule. Affordable Animal Hospital Torrance takes the position that only necessary vaccinations and boosters should be administered to protect your pet from serious illness.
During our consultation with you and your pet we will go over the following:
- What kinds of vaccines your pet needs, how often, and why.
- Verify that it is for a serious potential illness or illnesses.
- There is reasonable opportunity for your pet to be exposed to this disease.
- Review vaccine safety and effectiveness.
- Review any history of serious reaction your pet has had to vaccinations, if this is not their first one.
- For pets that are returning, you may have an option of doing a “Vaccine Titer Test” which will help you and your vet determine if there is adequate immunological protection from previous vaccinations. This will help ensure your pet is not over-vaccinated.